About Bicycle Machines
- Bicycle machines, bicimacinas, use the strength of leg power which is 5 times greater than that of the upper body and 20 times faster than hand-work.
- Bike machines are made from bicycle parts, wood and cement. Therefore, the technology is widely accessible, easy to use and repair, and are environmentally responsible.
- A large income gap exists between advanced industrial societies and rural areas of developing countries. Pedal powered machines are an appropriate technology to help bridge the gap.
- Bike machines are providing alternatives to traditional share crop work; that is, self-employment, or micro-enterprise.
Bicimolino / drainer (F)
This machine has two functions, it can be adapted to fit either a manual mill or a corn sheller (one can operated at a time.) The mill has the capacity to grind 3 pounds per minute. It is used most frequently to grind corn, soybeans and coffee beans, as well as to manufacture concentrates for animals. The sheller is used after harvesting and shells up to 15 quintals of grain (1 quintal = 100 lbs.) Per day.
Originally developed for production of traditional plant based shampoos and soaps for sale, this simple kitchen blender can also, obviously, mix fruit smoothies, vegetable puree, and grains. A family can sell smoothies at a park, soccer field, or festivals!
The pump supplies drinking and irrigation water in rural communities. It has the capacity to pump 5-10 gallons per minute from a well with a depth of 30 meters (maximum). They are known to be service for over 15 years with very little maintenance.
This machine produces the necessary vibrations to force the air bubbles out of the concrete mass that will become a durable, attractive roof tile. Trained operators can produce up to 400 roof tiles per day. Original tiles for our first machines remain perfectly functional after 20 years.
This machine removes the outer husk of the coffee bean, allowing small farmers to sell their own grains and receive a higher value for their product. It has the capacity to process up to 400 pounds in one hour.
This machine charges to 12-volt battery with 75W to use for lights.
This machine has the capacity to grind nixtamal for approximately 30 families per day. It can be used to obtain large quantities of other foods, such as beans, chocolate, peanuts, etc.
* Nixtamal is the word for «masa» – corn used to make tortillas.
This machine eliminates the outer layer of macadamia nuts, at 400 pounds per hour. We are still working to improve the design to work with a greater variety of sizes.
This machine can be used to wash clothes and works similarly to a regular washing machine.
This machine is operated by hand to cultivate, remove weeds, and loosen the soil. It can be pushed like a wheelbarrow.
A prototype tool for wood craftsmen that helps to save time, money and materials.
NOTE: We are currently working on a design for this machine